This version is for browsers with a low level of support for CSS, and is des
Home Content Area
During the golden age of barrel organs in the period between the two world wars, Karl Frei (1884-1967) defined barrel organ manufacture in the Netherlands. He had already received lessons in harmony and counterpoint at the State music school in Waldkirch at the early age of nine. He completed an apprenticeship with the Wilhelm Bruder Sons in Waldkirch and with Ludovico Gavioli in Paris. He also worked, however, for the Belgium organ builders Mortier and De Vreese. He settled down in the Dutch town of Breda after the First World War where is established his own company. After 1945, he was forced to move his operations, which now included his son Karl Junior, to Waldkirch.
Ignaz Bruder was the founder of organ building in Waldkirch. He most likely was introduced to organ building in Mirecourt in the Vosges mountains. Four of his sons established the company "Bruder Brothers": Andreas, Ignaz II, Xaver and Wilhelm. Two sons of Wilhelm, Wilhelm II (1841-1893) and Arnold (1842-1918) established the organ factory "Wilhem Bruder Sons", which was subsequently managed by their children and grandchildren. Two sons of Ignaz II built organs under the company name "Ignaz Bruder Sons".
End Content Area